More than ever, we know that our clients are concerned with the amount of waste being produced by society. Programs like The War on Waste from the ABC and legislation changes have really brought concerns about the future of recycling and our planet into the spotlight – right where it should be.
We know that in hairdressing there is a lot of waste produced. From empty shampoo bottles, to hair and chemical waste after your colour is applied, to the 1,500 tons of recyclable aluminium back to landfill by the Australian Hairdressing industry alone each year. There are plenty of ways in which a relaxing afternoon at the salon could be causing serious harm to the earth. We decided a number of years ago that this couldn’t continue to be the case.
Hair by Phd have been members of the Sustainable Salons programs in all our salons for the past few years. We are proud to share that we now recycle up to 95% of our salon waste in our Parramatta, Carlingford and Camden Salons and it is all thanks to our clients. A $2.50 donation from you on your hair treatments in salon over the past 2 years has allowed us to change the way our business is run and allowed us to help do our bit to make the world a better place.
“The hairdressing industry needs to take action now, and take care of the environment as much as we take care of clients”, says Paul Frasca, co-founder of SSA. Hairdressers today really care about making their salon as eco-friendly as possible”.
Watch our latest episode of Hair by Phd On The Wall where we interview Paul Fresca, co-founder of Sustainable Salons Australia, and take a tour through their depot as we look to what actually happens to our salon waste through their program.
Every time you visit one of our salons, your visit supports our ongoing commitment to reduce our ecological footprint, achieve zero waste, support charitable causes and implement environmentally sustainable practices in all that we do at Hair by Phd.
Through Sustainable Salons Australia, we are able to recycle our waste in ways that seriously support the community and reduce the impact of your monthly salon visit:
- All the proceeds gained from recycling the salon’s metals will be donated to not-for-profit community-based organisations that do a killer job helping humanity
- Plastic product bottles, packaging and bags are recycled into outdoor furniture and underground sheeting to protect the NBN
- Any leftover chemicals will be recycled into water and used in construction and roadworks
- Cut–off hair will support charitable causes such as oil spill clean-up projects, local community gardens and charitable wig making services
- Once our tools reach their end of life, they will be broken down and all valuable parts will be repurposed
We want to thank our loyal clients for their support in our work with Sustainable Salons Australia, and to the team from SSA for their support of our team as we learn new, less impactful ways of hairdressing. The future of the hairdressing industry certainly looks greener for your efforts.