Is curly hair in fashion? You bet it is. It’s not like the good old days where we were winding perms all day and the bigger the hair the better. Curly hair can look amazing and the curly hair looks of today are very versatile and wide ranging; from the fro to beautiful soft sexy curls.
In this post I will share with you some trade secrets about how to get your curly hair looking fab. Using the right products, styling tools and techniques on how to dry naturally curly hair to get the best result possible.
Naturally curly hair is normally naturally dry and lacking moisture. People with curly hair always struggle with frizz and hair dehydration. Using the right hair care products are important to maintain and style curly hair. Below are my tips and tricks for fabulous curly hair.
Secret Tips and Tricks
- Never ever put a brush or comb near dry curly hair. (Afros excluded here) This is a sure way to create frizz. However you should give your hair a good brush just prior to shampooing your hair to distribute the natural oils through the hair this will also make your hair easier to detangle when conditioning.
- Moisturise. As I said earlier most naturally curly hair is also naturally dry. It is very important to use good quality leave in moisturisers in your hair. This will hydrate your hair, control frizz and leave your curls looking more defined. Kerastase make a great product Oleo-Curl Crème. It nourishes, protects and defines the hair. Also Elixir Ultime by Kerastase is a great leave in oil. It is made up of four essential oils that leaves your hair feeling supple and promotes shine.
- Shampoo and Conditioner. It’s hard to go past the Kerastase Oleo Curl shampoo and masque (conditioner). It is designed for curly hair to nourish and soften. It smells awesome too. There are lots of curly hair products on the market just make sure you are using something that is going to add moisture. Remember to detangle your hair in the shower with conditioner in your hair.
- Styling curly hair can be frustrating if you are not getting the results you crave. Here are some tips for styling. 1. Hands off- try not to touch your hair when you are styling it. This will only promote the frizz. 2. Towel dry gently, using a micro fibre towel. Micro fibre towels create less friction which leads to less frizz. Do not dry heavily just dry your hair so it is not dripping. 3. If by the time you get to styling your hair it has dried off in areas, wet the hair again with a water spray. It is important that the hair is wet evenly. 4. Apply moisturiser and styling product to damp hair. The best curly hair product I have used is Osis Curl Me Soft. It defines the curl without being crunchie. Nothing worse than having crunchie 80’s frizz. ‘Gee we used to go through some mousse and hairspray in those days.’ 5. Use a diffuser to dry your hair. Think heat rather than air when drying curly hair. For more body tip your head upside down to dry. Again try not to touch your hair, let the natural curls take shape.
- There are all sorts of styling tools available to create curls; you can use a wand to define your curls after drying your hair or to create different shaped curls. Cloud 9 make a great range of styling irons. If you would like to have a test drive of a styling iron, Hair by Phd is having ‘A Girls Night Out’ where the team from Cloud 9 and Hair by Phd will be demonstrating all the Cloud 9 irons. Click here for more details on A Girls Night Out.
- Have regular trims. It is important that your hair is cut into shape. The correct shape will give you a style that will last.
- The dirtier your curly hair is the better it will sit. It sounds gross but it is true ask anyone with naturally curly hair? Depending on your lifestyle washing your hair 1-2 times a week is sufficient. Your curls will be more defined the longer you leave it.
Hope this has helped you with managing your curls. If you would like anymore info about the above please call in to the salon and talk to one of our stylists. They would love to help. If you have any great curly hair tips please feel free to post a comment below. Love to hear from you.
Haven’t been to our Facebook page yet? Click on the link below and ‘like’ our page to keep up with all that’s happening at Hair by Phd.
For more information about Hair by Phd click on the link below to go to our website.
Sarkis The Hairstylist
Images from Google Images
Hair Salon – Hairdresser – Hair Stylist – Parramatta Hair Salon – Parramatta Hairdresser – Parramatta Hair – Hair Colour – Balayage Parramatta – Keratin Hair Straightening – Keratin Hair Treatments Parramatta – GK Hair The Best – Haircut – Hair Styling – Hairdo – Hair by Phd – Hair Packages – Foils – High-Lights – ghd – Cloud Nine – Kerastase – Schwarzkopf – Colour Correction – Hair Extensions – Tape Hair Extensions – Tint – Semi Permanent Colour – GK Hair – Essensity – Natural Colour – BC – Blonde Me – Hair Straighteners – Osis – Elixir Ultime – Hair Treatments – Cinderella Hair Extensions – Celebrity Hair Styles – Oscars 2014 – Braids – Braiding – Tape Hair Extensions Parramatta – Mother’s Day Gifts Parramatta – Celebrating Over 50’s – Grey hair colour – Red hair colour Parramatta – Best Hairdresser Parramatta – Blonde Hair Parramatta – Best Hair Salon Parramatta – Best Hair Colourist Parramatta – Winter Hair Tips – Curly Hair Parramatta